QuickBooks has special lists build into its program called “Customer & Vendor profile” lists. These lists work with vendors & customers to further group them into specific subcategories. This is an extremely useful tool for almost any small business. Here are 3 ways to streamline your life and save you money by using these lists.
1. Have you spend hours totaling up and making spreadsheets of what you paid a subcontractor for a workers compensation audit? Make your workers compensation audit prep take 10 minutes. Classify vendors as subcontractors using the vendor type “subcontractor” if you pay them for services and do not pay them through payroll. When you do this you can then pull any report in QuickBooks and filter it for only subcontractor vendors to show you just the information you are looking for. Get your list of subcontractors and total paid for your audit period in a few clicks.
2. Do you have to manually add and remove your house charges to a hand written or typed list so your staff knows who has an account? Create a list of customers with charge accounts with credit limits that you don’t have to update by hand.
- Use the “Customer Type” list to designate house charge customers.
- Use the credit limit field to note their credit limit.
- Pull a customer phone list from the standard reports QuickBooks provides you.
- Filter it for just “Charge Account” customer type.
- Add the credit limit field to the report.
- Memorize the report to reprint without having to recreate when you update your charge accounts.
- Print your list.
3. Do you need to separate wholesale customers from retail customers for mailings and marketing? Are you spending tons of time doing this and find it hard to even delegate a simple mailing for fear that anybody else would mail a wholesale price list to a retail customer? By designating wholesale and retail customers as customer types in QuickBooks you can print labels in a few clicks.
- Go to Print Forms and Labels;
- Select Customers or Vendors;
- Select the type of customer or vendor you are looking to send a mailing to;
- Follow the print prompts.